Yes, there’s more at stake than just the way you look. Recent studies show that approximately 65 percent of Americans are overweight. And, believe it or not, that’s the good news. The bad news is that most of the other 35 percent are on their way (or were) to being overweight—nine out of 10 adults will be fat at some point in their lives. Weight gain is a huge problem (pun intended), and it’s not just because your clothes don’t fit.
Weight-related illness rates are starting to exceed the rates of diseases from smoking or problem drinking. Type II diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and high cholesterol, to name a few, plus all of their complications. Hundreds of thousands of people a year die from weight-related illnesses, and health care spending for them has topped $115 billion a year. That’s money that comes out of state health budgets and health insurance companies, which increases costs to employers and taxpayers—no wonder more is coming out of your paycheck to cover health care costs these days! Many employers are now giving financial incentives for good health behaviors because healthier employees can contribute more to the company's bottom line.
The impact of these diseases also goes beyond the financial implications. For those who suffer from weight-related illnesses, or who are overweight and on their way to one or more disease states, quality of life is severely compromised. So, what can you do about it? If you’re overweight and at risk, your first action is to lose the weight. It doesn’t matter how you do it. Even if you don’t eat the ideal diet and exercise regularly, just get the weight off. Even a 10 percent weight reduction can significantly improve your health. Once you’ve reached a healthier weight, you can start focusing on the finer points. Start making it a lifestyle, so you’ll never see that weight again. You’ll reduce your risk of serious disease, become happier, look great and your clothes will fit better. Using the dotFIT program, you can set your weight loss goals and create the ideal program including individualized menus, proper calorie and protein requirements, meal timing, exercises that you choose and coaching/feedback all the way till you reach your goal.